Time is a precious commodity that becomes wasted when we lack organization and are consumed with distractions. Increased time not only allows us opportunities for fun and adventure but also opportunities for greater financial gain as well.
Being organized and having systems for projects or activities has always been a part of me. It comes to me naturally and I feel much more at ease when I have that organization.
Over time I have found myself to be more scattered with my time management and lack of focus. I would jump from one project to another and never really get any one project completed. I spent the entire day at the computer bouncing from one website to another without actually finishing anything of substance. Spending a great deal of time each day fooling around on social media and being distracted by anything interesting (vacation ideas, recipes, craft ideas) kept me from being successful. Of course I wasn't successful, I wasn't accomplishing the things I had in mind to do and I had very little free time to do the fun things I wanted to do. I was tired of spending day after day floating through life with very little productivity. I was bored, unhappy and ready to make a change.
In my constant search for new ideas I found some simple ideas for decreasing distractions and stress which I began implementing into my life. Before I knew it I was more organized with my time, less distracted and as a result I am accomplishing much more each day. Not only am I getting more done on a daily basis but I also have more time to do things that are important to me. I have time to visit friends, go shopping, exercise, travel and generally have more fun in my life.
These are my 5 most favorite strategies for having less stress and more time each day.
- If it will take 2 minutes or less to complete then do it NOW. The more we put things off the bigger the job will become. Whether you are talking about your email, your snail mail, writing a check or washing dishes if you put it off it will take up more time in the long run.
- Avoid crowds - do your shopping or errands at a time when shops are not crowded. Get up early on Saturday to do your errands or do them mid week in the middle of the day when there is less traffic and shops are less crowded. You will spend much less time driving, waiting in lines and maneuvering through the stores.
- Put a time limit on social media so you do not eat up that precious time. There is so much information at our fingertips and it is often hard to choose which to give our attention to. Social media whether you are reading political editorials or watching cute cat videos is still a distraction and they are massive time suckers.
- Where are my keys? Misplacing items is a huge drain on your time. Have a place that you ALWAYS put your keys, your phone or even your Bluetooth (my Bluetooth is my downfall and I spend too much time looking for it!). All that time searching for those important items can be eliminated when we have a specific place to put things. Imagine always putting cooking utensils away in a different place in your kitchen and the nightmare of trying to cook a meal while searching for the items!
- A healthy lifestyle will naturally increase your productivity. Do your food choices put you in a food coma, especially after a heavy lunch? Do you feel sluggish from not exercising? Even not drinking enough water can make you fatigued and low energy. Drinking too much alcohol of course has obvious challenges to our productivity. You are naturally more productive when you have more energy and you have more energy when you maintain a healthy lifestyle.